THE FUTURE OF THE HAYS HOUSE
The goal of the Hays House Committee is to preserve the house and make such changes and
improvements necessary to and enhance its position as the premier historical museum in
In order to further these aims:
A new furnace was installed in the Fall of 1999 and air conditioning was added. This project
moved from our "wish list" to a necessity when the old furnace was declared unsafe in April.
The addition of air conditioning greatly adds to the comfort of our summer visitors.
- Architectural plans were drawn for the 1814 kitchen addition. The original colonial kitchen no longer
existed after the house was enlarged around 1825. A grant was obtained to reconstruct the kitchen.
The addition of the kitchen greatly enhances our ability to
describe life around 1788-1825 and permits demonstrations of period
cooking. The structure was completed in October of 2001.
- The kitchen addition has permited the installation of a handicapped-accessible rest room, a
gift shop in the basement, and a small kitchenette to be used by caterers and for teas at
- Restoration is still needed in the dining room, parlor, entry way, and upstairs middle bedroom.
- We are still working to restore the interior and exterior of the house to its original condition.
- Antique hardware, 1788-1825
- Furniture and furnishing, 1788-1825
- Ingrain carpeting for the parlor and dining room
If you can help by supplying any of the above items, or with a monetary donation, please contact
us or call 410-838-7691. For a more detailed list, please go to
HOW YOU CAN HELP .
Click on a topic below to learn more about it.
RETURN TO HAYS HOUSE MAIN PAGE
Return to the Historical Society of Harford County